The Institute for Work & Health (IWH) has conducted studies with Ontario workplaces to help identify health and safety leading indicators—i.e. organizational and management measures that can be used by workplaces and system partners to improve health and safety performance before injuries and illnesses occur.
The development and use of the Institute for Work & Health Organizational Performance Metric (IWH-OPM) was part of that research. The IWH-OPM is an eight-item questionnaire used to assess and improve an organization’s occupational health and safety performance.
The aim of the IWH-OPM project
The IWH-OPM project aimed to develop a simple tool that will predict a firm’s workplace injury experience based on an assessment of its health and safety policies and practices, and that could be used to benchmark organizations with others in their sector.
The project’s phases
- Developing, piloting and evaluating the IWH-OPM tool (2008-2010)
- Readministering the IWH-OPM questionnaire to benchmark scores and further understand its relationship to injury and illness data (2012-2014)
- Conducting worksite visits to learn how firms with low IWH-OPM scores differ from those with high IWH-OPM scores (2013-2014)
Can I still take part in this project?
Recruitment is finished for all phases of this project. However, you can still complete the IWH-OPM questionnaire and compare your score to other workplaces in your sector.
The IWH-OPM project was part of a larger body of research at IWH to identify leading indicators and help organizations benchmark themselves against others in their sector and all sectors.
- Starting in 2010, IWH worked closely with Ontario’s HSAs in the Ontario Leading Indicators Project (OLIP), which is evaluating a number of leading indicator surveys—including the OPM. You can also complete the OLIP questionnaire to compare your OHS performance with organizations in your sector.
- From 2011 to 2013, the IWH administered and studied the IWH-OPM in New Brunswick, where it was compared to the province’s Internal Responsibility System Questionnaire (IRSQ). In light of its findings, IWH recommended that WorkSafeNB consider using the OPM metric. WorkSafeNB has acted on this recommendation and adopted the IWH-OPM.