Employer investments in occupational health and safety: establishing benchmarks for Ontario
Reasons for the study
In Ontario, no information on employer expenditures and investments on occupational health and safety (OHS) is currently available. This study addressed this gap by collecting detailed estimates of firm-level spending on health and safety from Ontario employers. Data was collected on five dimensions of health and safety spending: (1) management and supervision, (2) training, (3) personal protective equipment, (4) external consulting services, and (5) health and safety improvements attributed to investments in facilities, vehicles and equipment.
Objectives of the study
- To obtain detailed estimates of firm-level expenditures and investments in OHS for a representative sample of employers in the province on Ontario
- To provide participating employers with a benchmarking report comparing their OHS expenditures to peer organizations in their economic sector
Related scientific publications
- Mustard C, Tompa E, Landsman V, Lay M. What do employers spend to protect the health of workers?. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 2019;45(3):308-311. doi:10.5271/sjweh.3778.
Related interviews and articles
- Calculating the costs of employers’ work-related injury prevention efforts in Ontario . At Work: Institute for Work & Health; No. 94, Fall 2018.
- Injury and wellness: what are employers spending on prevention?. Plant: Annex Business Media (Toronto, ON). August 23, 2017. Available from: https://www.plant.ca/features/injury-wellness-spending-prevention/
- Construction among highest spending sectors to prevent work-related injuries. Daily Commercial News: Construction Market Data Group (Markham, ON). May 16, 2017. Available from: https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/news/OHS/2017/5/Construction-among-highest-spending-sectors-to-prevent-work-related-injuries-1023875W
- Employers wanted for study on OHS spending. At Work: Institute for Work & Health; No. 87, Winter 2017.
Related research summaries
- What do employers spend to protect the health and safety of workers?. Issue Briefing: Institute for Work & Health, September 2018.
Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Association
Public Services Health and Safety Association
Workplace Safety & Prevention Services
Ontario Ministry of Labour Research Opportunities Program